Saturday, October 23, 2010

Bread Baking Heaven

Yum!!!  As I mentioned in my last post, I'm trying out new recipes from the book Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day.  I love these authors!  I am a passionate baker, but with 4 kiddos running underfoot (especially the newborn), it can be a bit too difficult to make bread that needs 10 minutes of kneading.  This no-knead process is incredibly convenient!  I volunteered to bring bread to a potluck tonight (can you say good timing!) so up until yesterday, I had a container of: Red Wine and Cheese Dough, Vollkornbrot Dough, Chocolate Espresso Dough and Soft Honey Wheat Dough.  Here are my verdicts:
Red Wine and Cheese Dough - I used a good merlot and sharp white cheddar cheese.  This bread has a great pink/red coloring to it, but not as much flavor as I expected.  There is a hint of wine, but I couldn't taste the cheese at all.  I may try it again with different cheeses.  It did have a nice texture to it, though.  And it disappeared rather quickly.  I'm curious to see which bread disappears the fastest tonight at the potluck.
Next up: Soft Honey Wheat Dough.  This is yummy, but crumbly.  It is Charlotte's new favorite bread.  She calls it her energy bread.  The book recommends this bread for sandwiches, but I don't think it would hold up well.  I also used it to make the Apple Strudel Bread and was not impressed.  The apples made the bread soggy around them and the flavor wasn't strong enough to be redeeming.  I don't anticipate using this dough again.
Chocolate Espresso Dough: This has a nice texture and flavor.  It is not overwhelmingly chocolate or coffeey (is that even a word?)  I'd like to try it again as muffins and their bar recipe looks intriguing.  If there is any left tomorrow, I'm planning on trying it as french toast.
Vollkornbrot:  I adore this bread!  It is a dense, heavy loaf, but full of yummy goodness.  How can you go wrong with whole wheat berries?  I'm serving this tonight (at a German potluck, no less) with butter and Brie.  Wish me luck!
After emptying these containers yesterday, I decided to indulge in the Pumpkin Brioche dough and a batch of the standard white master dough (i sub in one cup of whole wheat flour).  This morning we had our first experience with the Pumpkin Broiche as doughnuts.  This is super easy!  I rolled out a handful of dough, cut it, heated the oil and just a few minutes later I was shaking the doughnuts in sugar mixture (sugar, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice).  The kids loved having fresh doughnuts for breakfast and have already requested them for Halloween morning.  We actually ran out of my first batch, but the oil was still warm, so it only took 5 minutes to make a second batch.  This dough also freezes well.  I'm planning on freezing a doughnut worthy portion to make next weekend. All I need to do is defrost it in the fridge for 24 hours before using it!
I still have oodles of recipes from this book to try, and I'll follow up with the crowd's reaction tonight.  For now, it's off to soccer and an attempt to work off some of the bread I've been consuming!

1 comment:

  1. So the verdict is in... Vollkornbrot is the winner... though to be fair, the red wine cheese bread was underbaked in the center, so it did not make it's appearance. ( i was so bummed. that's what i get for trying to bake two large loaves at the same time without extending the baking time. :( Oh, and the Pumpernickel bread brought by the "real german" took some away too (though he still had some left as well!)

    ReplyDelete