Tuesday, May 11, 2010

All for you

It's amazing to what lengths we will go as moms.  I find that time and time again that I will do anything to protect my children.  This apparently extends to my own body as well, when gestating.  I teach Zumba 5 times a week.  I love it and have been teaching for about a year and a half now.  I have taught through earaches, the flu, sprained ankles, pulled muscles, you name it.  Never once have I been too concerned, even when I felt dizzy or nauseous.  All that changed last night.
I came home from a great class.  I felt terrific and alive.  I then discovered that I was spotting.  At 18 weeks along, that is of some concern.  Okay, I admit it, I freaked out.  I went from calm and happy mom to panicking, tearing up, crazed mom on a phone mission... don't bother me, I'm calling the OB.  Of course, I was reassured on the phone that the baby is probably just fine and not to worry too much.  Then the kicker - she told me to "take it easy" for a while to see how things go and how I feel.  Take it easy?  What does that mean?
I dutifully went to bed feeling relieved to have something "to do" for the baby and annoyed that I was in bed.  I have a husband and 3 kids to spend time with.  Not to mention, class in the morning... and I would have liked to have taught a new song.  I just need a little more practice.  But no, for the baby's sake, I stayed put.
After being up most of the night tossing and turning, I went to teach class this morning.  The restraint!  I never imagined how difficult it would be to take it easy.  I did manage to cut down on the jumping and higher impact stuff, but it was hard.  It's just not the same when I'm not giving my all.
Baby still seems to be fine - still kicking.  Mommy's just going crazy sitting in bed.  If I was told to take it easy for any other reason, I would be still going about my normal routine.  After all, there are dishes to be done, laundry to fold and put away, Zumba routines to work on, the list goes on and on.  Staying in bed is some sort of strange punishment to me.  And yet, I will do it, all for you, little one.

No comments:

Post a Comment