Friday, June 4, 2010

Fever and Favorites

I've caught the fitness fever.  Even as my body grows to accomodate this little one... and the number on the scale continues to panic me... I find myself drawn to fitness.  That said, I have only been to the gym once for myself during the past few months and have not been pushing myself the way I normally do.  I have become  more interested in the overall fitness of my students.
I recently added two circuit training classes to my weekly schedule and am astounded at how out of shape some of the students who have been with me for over a year are!  I felt bored after my last circuit class and worried that I didn't push them hard enough, but they were not keeping up.  It's funny when the pregnant instructor is able to do more burpees, mountain climbers, push-ups, you name it than the 20-somethings who have never put their body through pregnancy!  I also have older women for whom plyometrics is difficult and hard on the joints.   This leads me to my latest fever.
As one of the clubs is poorly equipped for the workouts I do, I have started purchasing my own equipment to bring along.  I am amazed at how addicting this is!
I started out by purchasing gliders, which I will introduce to my class on Monday!  These are a great way to workout without putting pressure on the joints.  I have not had a chance to watch the dvds that come with the set, but look forward to using them for planks and mountain climbers for starters.  I am also curious about using them for a modified burpee, but that requires a fair amount of ab strength, so it will be a while before my classes are ready.  (By the way, the kids love these!  Char immediately took on the role of mini fitness instructor and had the boys racing across our rug as dinosaurs or skating to get away from thing, etc.  They got a pretty good workout without any prompting or coaching from me!)
I have also been looking at versa-loops (or thera bands).  These are amazing little pieces of rubber that allow you to work intensely without putting strain on joints again.  I was introduced to these in physical therapy and have since seen them at a few clubs around town.  I love using these to work the hips/glutes, legs in skater squats and side squats and bridges.  I am hoping to have these by next month for my class as they are awesome!  I have one set of my own that I will be utilizing in class, but look forward to having more.
It's a bit of a stretch (hahaha) but I would love to have 3-4 of these Eva rollers and half rollers as well.  If you have never used a roller, you are in for a real treat!  They are the best pain torture around... I mean, they are a great tool for releasing tension in your muscles.  This was another physical therapy introduction... and one that I loathed in the beginning.  Since then, I have learned to use them for exercises as well as stretches.  They are great!!!!  The half rollers are easy to incorporate into standing exercises and force you to use your abs.  I remember falling off of them constantly the first time I used them!  These are a bit pricey, so I may not be able to afford them for this summer, but after the baby is born and I start personal training, these will be a must!
I also desperately want an agility ladder.  I know that I don't "need" one, but it helps in circuit training as it provides a goal.  I remember the first time I had to push-up my way around one and thought I was going to die.  After doing it I felt great!  I would definitely use it for pushups as well as running/agility drills.  Oh the fun I could have!
My final must have is the Omron body fat analyzer.  I love this tool!!!  I may have to splurge this summer to buy it, though I don't anticipate using it much until after baby is born.  It's a must for personal trainers, in my mind, as it gives a more accurate view of what is going on in the body than the scale does.  It's also a big motivator for me as I'm shedding the baby weight.
Okay, so I thought this was it, and then saw a box from power-systems at one of the clubs.  It was full of fun looking goodies.  I then spied the catalog and spent oodles of time drooling over the equipment I would love to add to my repertoire.  They are adding a TRX suspension trainer!!!!!  I can't wait.  Unfortunately, I do not have a place at home that would be suitable for this.  Anyway, a girl can dream...

No comments:

Post a Comment