Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Justification is a sweet thing

I receive the paper on Wed, Sat and Sun, and generally only browse it.  The State Journal is not exactly known for amazing reporting.  I enjoy the crossword and sudoku puzzles, the coupons and ads.  Oh, and I occasionally glance at my horoscope.  Today is a 6, by the way.
Today's top headline grabbed my attention: Schools get progress report.  As a homeschooler, one of my fears is that I will not be teaching my children enough.  Even though my daughter is testing above her grade level, that nagging thought remains in the back of my mind.  Somehow reading that 89 Wisconsin schools - including 6 in Madison - failed again to reach the national standards set by the No child left behind act, is reassuring, even justifying.
Even if I fail to teach my daughter to her potential, she will likely be receiving a higher education that she would if she were in a public school (and yes, the schools in our neighborhood were listed).  Of course, there are those who would argue that having her in school would benefit the school by raising the test level slightly.  However, I choose to be selfish and put her education above the school's ratings.  Sorry, she'll not be attending your school next year.  And yes, you will have to keep increasing your standards in order to get off the naughty list.  Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment