Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Recipe disaster er... review

A few months ago I stumbled upon The Kind Diet and was intrigued by the philosophy of eating and the recipes.  I have only made a few, but have enjoyed them until this weekend.  After a long day of working on the house and feeling drained, I decided to try the peanut butter cup recipe from the book.  They smelled delicious, looked delicious, tasted... um... not so delicious?
My daughter tried them first and promptly threw out the recipe saying that I did not need to keep this one. My husband tried it and stopped after one mouthful (I think he was sorely tempted to spit it out!) and declared that this reminded him of the time chocolate was banned from his family and "carob is not and will never be chocolate."  My three year old was asleep, which left my little guy to be my last tester.  
I love this little guy.  He tried it, made a few spitting sounds and strange faces and declared "it's yummy mommy.  it's yummy!"  He and I were the only ones to finish our cups (and I have to admit that I was not a fan myself.  The peanut butter part was decent, but the carob topping was dreadful.)  He then proceeded to have what my husband calls "an allergic reaction" to them.  He giggled uncontrollably, bounced around the house and hung upside down off the chair.  Now, knowing that there was not a lot of sugar in these babies, I can't say that this was due to a sugar rush.  And who ever heard of a carob rush?  No, this was simply Ben being Ben.  A shame though, if these peanut butter cups really did prompt this reaction, I might have a reason to save the recipe.  As it is though, this was definitely not a keeper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment