Friday, April 9, 2010

All too quiet on the home front

Ah yes.  The dreaded cold.  Why can't they issue a pill or shot when you become a mom so you can't get sick until your kids are grown and out of the house?  It would really make life a lot easier.  It seems like whenever I get sick, the house is ruled by chaos.  My seemingly sweet children become tasmanian devils leaving destruction in their wake.
Yesterday I was ill.  In fact, I went back to bed after teaching in the morning.  I should have heard the warning bells going off in my mind when I was able to fall asleep, but alas, I was sleeping!  My nearly 2 year old woke me around 10:30 am to "Mommy, need sugar."  Through my blurry vision, I was able to distinguish two multi-colored, dangerous looking hands reaching for me across my newly washed light green sheets. These stainers were matched by a multi-colored face and a huge grin. "Mommy, get up.  Need sugar," he repeated.
Funny how I can go from the peaceful land of nod to mommy in overdrive at the sight of my youngest.  He was immediately tossed in the shower and, much to his delight, the water transformed into rainbow colors after hitting his little body.  One mess down...  now to find the rest.
I left him in the shower and cautiously approached the hallway to the kitchen.  Danger! Turn back!  Ah, if only I had heeded these warnings.  The hall was strewn with several kinds of cereal, an unidentified liquid and blue blobs.  After deftly passing these, I came upon the kitchen.  At least, I'm pretty sure it was the kitchen.  Seriously, it was bad.  The table was covered with cereals, some in globular form.  Milk was spilled (no crying, now) along with what I think was once water.  On the counter was the source of my messy munchkin.  Five Kool-aid wrappers littered the counter along with a pair of scissors, colored powders, a spoon and a cup containing a toxic looking slurry.
Aha.  It all becomes clear.  He made Kool-aid.  He pushed a chair to the counter, climbed onto the counter and somehow reached up to the third shelf to pull down the ziplock bag of Kool-aid.  He then found a scissors, opened them and mixed them with his water.  I imagine it didn't taste quite like what he expected, hence the need for sugar.
Needless to say, the house was once again returned to a normal state before my evening class and the children were cleaned.  I'm still sick, but the warning bells have turned up the volume to prevent the sleep I had found yesterday morning.

1 comment:

  1. Since becoming a mom, I've somehow managed to perfect being able to sleep & still hear things going on around me. Seriously, it's like sleeping with my ears open. It's totally bizarre, but has saved me more than once over the last five years! Feel better

    ReplyDelete