Thursday, April 29, 2010

Zumba Rant

I love Zumba.  The music (though not always the lyrics), the dance moves, the fitness component... it really is too much fun to be considered a workout.  And yet, if I take a class, I expect a workout.  I expect to sweat and feel great afterwards.  I expect to be physically and creatively challenged.  Unfortunately, classes rarely meet my expectations.

It's strange that the Zumba classes in Florida (where Zumba originated) are amazing and become less impressive as you move farther away.  I know that each instructor brings his/her own style to the class.  I've been told that I have a more physically demanding class than most in town.  Yet, shouldn't we remain true to the Zumba formula? Fun and Fitness...
I was very hopeful for classes in Anaheim, CA.  I thought that classes in sunny California would be amazing, high energy, kick your butt - and leave you smiling - classes.  I was sorely disappointed.
First, finding a Zumba class is difficult here.  I was surprised at how few places offer Zumba... and then it's only one class a week.  I located the closest class and signed up.  When I saw the instructor I was hopeful.  She appeared in good shape, mid 40s, high energy.  Then class started and her first action was to remove her shirt.  In my experience, this is a bad sign.
There is a strange phenomenon among Zumba instructors when they decide to teach bare bellied.  The fitness portion disappears.  Perhaps it is because less than perfect abs (I personally would not have bared her belly in her case) will jiggle if you move too high energy.  And crunches will momentarily accentuate rolls.  Well, this class was no different.  We spent 60 minutes watching her caress her body and occasionally remember to add a few steps.  Her eye contact rarely faltered from her own reflection and "be sexy" was her motto. 
To her credit, and to all instructors of her ilk, there was more than just the striptease, burlesque quality to her class.  She did do the basic dance moves and cause some participants to sweat.  However, the focus was definitely not fitness.
When I take a Zumba class, I expect a workout.  If I wanted to spend an hour watching a scantily clad woman dancing in her own "sexy" bubble, I would go to a strip club.  I beg instructors to remember - you teach in a gym.  We want to sweat.  We want to "feel the burn."  We want a workout.

That said, if you want a high energy dance workout, I teach 5 times a week.  I teach at the Womens Fitness Center (WFC) and New Self Renewal Center (NSR).  Monday night at 5:30 pm (WFC), Tuesday morning at 6:30 am (WFC), Tuesday night at 5:30 pm (NSR), Thursday morning at 6:30 am (WFC) and Thursday night at 5:30 pm (NSR).  My class does make you sweat.  We'll do ab work, squats, lunges, kicks, "quick feet," jumping jacks , punches and more.  Be prepared to have fun, to sweat and to feel fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment