Friday, July 2, 2010

the flight attendants are right...

It's funny  how I cringe internally when hearing the safety procedures while flying.  Remember to look for your exits, your nearest exit may be behind you, put the oxygen mask on yourself before others and don't panic, even if it doesn't appear to be filling, your mask is providing oxygen...  It seems wrong for me to put myself first.  After all, mother nature designed us to mask our children first, then worry about ourselves.
It occurred to me today that the flight attendants are right after all.  I tend to keep going and serving my family until I am battered and broken down.  Then I allow myself enough time to duct tape together and start all over again.
This pattern of self neglect, dare I say abuse, is dangerous.  You can survive for a time, but in the long run, everyone suffers.  So, moms (and dads), sometimes you have to take care of yourself first in order to take care of others.  After all, your car won't run without fuel and neither will you.  Don't feel guilty about taking an hour here or there for yourself (truly for yourself, no errands, cleaning etc...).  You deserve it and you need it.  In the long run, your family will benefit and thank you for it.  Don't worry, even if you feel as though you "wasted" that hour by not "accomplishing" anything, have faith that you are being refueled and refreshed.
Oh, and always know where your nearest exit is.  Remember, it may be behind you...

No comments:

Post a Comment