Thursday, July 22, 2010

Reversing Civility

Today I caved.  I've been craving a slice of duo silk pie from Hubbard Ave Diner for about a week now.  If you haven't had, it is a must!!!  Imagine a heavenly combination of creamy french silk and peanut butter silk pie.   Yum.  Now, this treat is usually savored over a few hours of mommy only conversation.  You know the kind, where you can talk with abandon, give and receive advice and laugh at the ridiculous events that have happened since your last meeting.  Today was different.
After surveying my mood and the rain outside, we decided to high tail it to Middleton public library for storytime.  (conveniently sharing a parking lot with Hubbard Ave Diner)  We walked with an extra spring in our steps to get our pie and french fries (waffle fries that are wonderful).  I had not counted on the lunch hour rush, however.
Add a busy, noisy diner to 3 hungry children, who drooled with anticipation over the pies at the entrance and you have a recipe for disaster.  Still we proceeded, sat down and ordered.  This took ages today (or maybe any amount of time would have seemed endless with my crew).  The pie came first.  We managed to pray before picking up our weapons, but just barely.  Then all sense of civility dissolved and the forks were flying.  Watch out!  My ahhh inspiring tradition rapidly became migraine producing in nature.  In less than 5 minutes (literally), the children had completely destroyed the pie, were covered with silk cream and asking where the fries were.  The fries were a little more civilly eaten, but still resulted in one ketchup stained boy who looked at me with big innocent eyes and said "i want more pie mom."
Bottom line, the pie was amazing, as always, and we will be going back.  Or at least I will be going back with my mom group or to pick up a pie to bring home.  For an extra $5, we can forgo the fries and mayhem and each have our very own piece of pie at home.  Perhaps I could even enjoy mine with a cup of tea, savoring each bite while my children peacefully munch and regal me with stories of why I am the greatest mom ever...  a girl can dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment