Thursday, July 8, 2010

oh for the love, here we go again...

I hate having our credit reports pulled.  I hate, hate, hate it!  About 8 years ago now, someone stole my checkbook and wrote out checks (ironically, the account had been closed because no one would accept a check from me after I married - maiden name didn't match new license.)  I immediately contacted my bank, the police (and signed numerous affidavits) and put a fraud alert on my credit reports.  It didn't matter.  It still went on my credit report, I still received phone calls, despite mailing copies of the police report, etc.  Last year, we were finally able to have it removed by an amazing service our bank offers to 1 case per branch.  Our mortgage loan officer got us in.  Fantastic.  Received my report today and, it's back....
I suppose I should be happy that at least I know what is lowering my score, poor Dan has no clue.  At first, there were the tax liens, the mortgage (opened before his birth and we still had to argue with them to get it removed), the accidents (his brother's) and the mysterious medical bill.  After a ridiculous amount of time and energy on our part, we were able to get all removed except the medical bill.  Again, the wonderful bank had that removed.  It's also back.  Anyone have medical expenses around $166 in 2004?  The credit report has no phone number or company listed, just that it is in collection.  I seem to remember that way back when it had included a number, but they wouldn't give Dan info because of patient confidentiality and he is not a patient.  Go figure.
We live in the dread that any time we need to apply for a loan there will be a new delinquency on our report that we will have to investigate and battle.  Unfortunately, even when we do succeed in proving it is not us, it takes years for our scores to rebound.  The system is flawed.  I suppose the moral is, name your children as uniquely as possible to avoid this mess.  Perhaps Sunflower Adelia Butz would work out... at least I don't think there is another one of those out there.  Makes me feel sorry for those poor John Smiths of the world.
Meanwhile if anyone has dealt with credit issues successfully, I'd love to hear how.  We are at our wits end at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment