Thursday, March 18, 2010

Munching and Crunching

Yummmmmmmmm....  I started a new health food kick this week.  Well, yesterday, to be honest.  I finally braved the natural foods aisle at Woodmans, spent way too much, went to Whole Foods, spent lots but on more stuff, returned the stuff to Woodmans and am now trying to use it all!  By the way, I was extremely impressed by Whole Foods.  Everyone was helpful and kind.  Amazing trips there (yes 2 because I forgot some things the first time.)  
Anyway, I am currently perusing Alicia Silverstone's book: The Kind Diet.  





Although I have no intentions of going totally vegan, the idea of eating more whole foods appeals to me.  Today I tried my first recipe - her granola... with a few changes...

Here's the recipe:
3 c quick-cooking oats
1/4 c maple sugar
1/2 c wheat germ
1/4 c sesame seeds (i toasted them first)
1/4 c sunflower seeds
1/4 c chopped almonds
1/4 c chopped pecans
1/4 c raisins
1/4 c craisins
1/4 c safflower oil
1/4 c brown rice syrup (I would bump this up a little next time)
3/4 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Spread oats on baking sheet and bake 10 minutes.  Transfer to a bowl and add dry goods.  Mix well.  Add liquids.  Mix well.  Return to baking sheet.  Bake 5 minutes, stir, bake another 5 minutes.  Let cool.

I also added a handful of toasted flax seeds at the end.

This is phenomenal!!!  I needed more syrup because of all of my additions and will add more next time, but the rice syrup gives just enough sweetness to the mix.  You can use maple syrup if you like it sweeter, though.  
I'm hoping to try more recipes from her book and will keep you posted on my food explorations. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. You have to tell mom and I about other yummy recipes from her book!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete