Sunday, March 21, 2010

When I say "Yum," you say "Yuck"

Well, dinner tonight was received with an overwhelming thumbs down, way way down.  After one bite, my 3 year old asked when the hamburgers were going to be ready.  My husband declared that he didn't like it either.  My daughter said, hey, for once dad agrees with us.  And finally, my almost 2 year old spit the food back out onto his plate.
So what did I make to warrant this reaction?  Moroccan Couscous with Saffron.  Think roasted butternut squash, onion, carrots and zucchini tossed with couscous and an herb infused vegetable broth.  Mmmmm...  or at least I thought it was.  My family is more of a meat eating group.  As my husband said "I don't like squash on a good day.  And zucchini is only good if it's in a bread with chocolate chips." I suppose on nights I decide to make this again (and I will be making this again), I simply need to make something like hamburger helper for my family.  Mom- if you are reading this, I'd love to have you over for dinner.  This is totally vegan and you'd love it with me!  Julia (from Dan's work) - Dan's bringing some to you for lunch tomorrow.  I hope you like it!
Does this mean it is time to shelve The Kind Diet?  Um, no. While my husband was enthusiastic about trying the new recipes after tasting the granola, he is now a bit skeptical.  Perhaps he will like the other dessert recipes from the book.  I have loved everything I made thus far and  shall continue to try them with the assumption that I will have leftovers for lunch and supper the following day.

FYI, I made the granola recipe yesterday with my daughter.  We added chopped apricots to the mix and extra rice syrup and safflower oil to make it really sticky.  Then I greased an 8 x 8 glass baking dish, lined it with parchment and pressed the granola down into it.  I baked it for about 30 minutes, let it cool completely in the pan and cut it for granola bars.  Wow, everyone in the family adores these.  In fact, they are nearly gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment