Saturday, February 27, 2010

Butternut Squash Soup

As you can tell, I'm in the soups section of my recipe box.  Yes, I still use the old fashioned box with index cards - handwritten.  I have tried the computer programs, the neat binders of laminated recipes, etc.  For some reason, this just seems to be the best format for me.  Maybe because I'm still pretty old fashioned at heart.  Though on the days that Ben (my almost 2 year old) decides to dump the entire contents onto the floor, I second guess this reasoning.  I have a lot of recipes!  Even after paring down, I still manage to nearly fill the box. Anyway, this next recipe is rather new to my collection and the jury is still out.  The first time I made it, it was amazing!  The second time, blah - tossed.  The third time, pretty good.  What was different?  Different times of year for my butternut squash.  It seems that making it in the fall delivers the best taste.
At any rate, you can decide for yourself:

2 tlbs butter at room temp
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
6 c chicken broth
1/4 c chopped fresh sage leaves (yeah right. I never have this on hand.  I usually toss in about 1/2 tsp dried, powdered sage)
2 tbls olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 1/2 lbs butternut squash - peeled, seeded and cut into 3/4 in chunks
salt and black pepper to taste

1.  In 8 qt stockpot, add butter and oil and melt together over med-high heat.  Add onion and carrot; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft - 5 minutes or so.  Stir in garlic and cook until aromatic - 30 seconds. Add squash and broth. Bring to a boil and add sage.
2. Continue to boil until veggies are tender - about 20 minutes.  Turn off heat.  Blend until smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper.

Now, how to blend...  The recipe calls for a handheld immersion blender.  I don't have one of these modern miracles, though I am hoping for one... hint... hint...
I have tried my blender (not so good) and my hand held mixer (awful!) and my food processor (my best bet).  None deliver quite the smoothness I would like, but the taste is still very good (see comments above).  I hope to have an immersion blender (hint, hint) by next fall to try it again in season.

No comments:

Post a Comment