Saturday, February 27, 2010

Crustless Spinach, Onion and Feta Quiche

YUM!!!  I love spinach, though this is only within the last 10 years or so.  In fact, I will never forget my first encounter with the green veggie.  My mother, a spinach lover herself, made a spinach pie.  Now, this may sound yummy, and might actually be, but I was only about 8 at the time and hated it.  I felt like I was eating slimy seaweed.  It was awful!  And I had to eat all of it to qualify for our dessert (a trip to the Penguin for ice cream).  Now, the Penguin used to serve fresh, homemade custard, roller skate drive up style.  It was awesome.  In fact, there wasn't much I wouldn't do for this rare treat.  Stomaching the spinach pie turned out to be very difficult, however.  I somehow managed to gag every last bite down only to discover that my little sister (a former and current veggie hater) got ice cream even though she would not eat it.  Where's the justice!  So remember parents, such a thing leaves a very deep impression.  However difficult it is, fairness across the board for your kiddos.  Our kids do not get dessert if they do not eat dinner... no exceptions.
Anyway, I have grown to love spinach and adore this recipe.  My family is not a big quiche fan, so I am not able to make it often, but I do still sneak it in sometimes.

1 med onion, diced
6 oz fresh baby spinach
1/2 c flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c feta cheese
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/3 c milk

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Lightly grease a 10-in pie plate.
2. In a medium frying pan, saute onions until translucent and tender.  Add spinach and cook until just wilted.  Set aside to cool.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, flour, baking powder and salt.  Whisk in milk.  Stir in spinach-onion mixture.  Pour quiche into prepared pan and top with feta.
4. Bake about 25 minutes or until center is set and the outside edge is golden brown.  Let set for 5 minutes before serving

No comments:

Post a Comment