Saturday, February 27, 2010

In-law's Rivel Soup

I had never heard of Rivel Soup before I married.  Though I was and continue to be the main cook/baker, my husband did bring a few recipes in to the mix.  This is one that I rarely make, but is very easy to make and yummy on cold days.

1/2 c flour
pinch salt
1 egg
2 tbls butter
2 c milk
cornstarch - depends on how thick you want it.  I generally add 2-3 tbls.

1. In a saucepan, heat milk and butter on high.
2. In a small bowl, whisk dry ingredients. Add egg and make rivels with hands.
3. When milk starts to boil, turn heat down to low and add rivels and leftover flour mixture from bowl.
4. Cook on low, stirring until heated through - about 5-10 minutes.

As far as I know this is the traditional rivel soup recipe.  I always add veggies to my soups, so I mix in about 1/2 a bag of mixed veggies (corn, carrots, peas) during the last step.

No comments:

Post a Comment